Saturday, August 21, 2010

Learning comedy from a book??? Part 2

As I progress through the comedy book, I see how the joke structure turns into a "bit" structure.

The author describes a very logical progression of how to put the jokes in order in a logical fashion. I was in total agreement with how the logic comes into ordering the jokes in the bit because in my own storytelling style of comedy, I know that there needs to be a logical beginning, middle and end of the bit.

The author keeps harping on keeping the jokes efficient and to the point. This is a good hint for me because I tend to ramble sometimes.

The chapter on rehearsing was worth the price of the book all by itself. The suggestion is not to memorize the words, but to memorize the "experience".

According to the author, if you memorize the experience, the words will follow. If you perform in that manner, the audience will become emotionally tied to the performance and go where you as the comic want them to go.

Basically, a comic needs to BECOME the bit. I completely agree with that too. When I have a good set, I almost feel like the words are automatically coming out of my mouth. The audience gets it, and the more they laugh, the better I perform. I've been doing this instinctively for the most part, but now that I've read this, I will be making a conscious effort to write, rehearse, and perform like that.

I'm almost done with the book. I'll give you my final conclusions on the book soon!

1 comment:

  1. You? Ramble? Really?

    Seriously, you've inspired me to finish the book myself. I need to step it up!

    ReplyDelete