Sunday, August 29, 2010

Learning comedy from a book??? The Conclusion

OK, so I finished the comedy book.

Overall, it was really helpful, and I recommend it highly.

The final couple of chapters brought the first parts of the book together.

Before I go further, I want to name the book and author. It's called "Step By Step To Stand Up Comedy" by Greg Dean.

What I liked about the book is that it really broke it down scientifically for me.

I've been doing comedy for about three and a half years now, and I WAS doing some of the things that were recommended in the book INSTINCTIVELY. The problem I sometimes have is knowing how to recreate a high level of writing and performing when things are not going so well. Now that I know what I'm dealing with, I'm able to understand the dynamics of why things go well and not so well. Knowing these things will help me keep things on a higher level more consistently.

The book broke it down, well, step by step. It got me thinking about how to get to my happy, and more importantly, the audience's happy comedy place.

I think that if I take the info in the book to heart, I can achieve a higher percentage of good jokes in my writing, and also improve my consistency in my performances.

You can find the book online at Barnes and Noble. Not to make a commercial for myself, but if you buy the book through my shopping website, you help me out and you can get 4% cash back on your purchase. Just sign up as a preferred customer, it's free! There are over 3,000 other stores on there too. I can step you through it if you have trouble.

http://www.marketamerica.com/ScottShimamoto/index.cfm

I hope this book review was helpful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment