Thursday, November 7, 2013

How I lost weight and gained a six-pack!

I was one of those scrawny kids growing up.  When I graduated from college, I was 5'7" and about 125 pounds.  The good news was that I could jump really high!  The bad news was that I couldn't do it if it was windy or I would end up in a tree!

So over the years, I hit the weights AND my weakness...chocolate ANYTHING!  Oh yeah, I was also a fast foods junkie!  If you haven't seen my bit about working at McDonald's, a lot of that is true.  I love me some Big Macs!

I got up to almost 170 pounds, but I thought I was only 10 or so pounds over what I should be, so I didn't have a lot of motivation to lose weight.  I figured, if I got heavier, I'd do something about it.


This is me at my heaviest...(I'm looking for a picture with my shirt off.. don't worry, I'll put it up soon)

I started on a weight management program called Transitions.  It is a program that teaches you about your body and how it reacts to food and exercise.  It is a scientifically based program that really works.

The reason why I know it works is because I lost about 20 pounds by "kind of " following the program.  I cut out most of the fast foods and ate way healthier than I used to.  The problem was, I was "cheating" on the program with a lot of white rice and only eating two giant meals per day.  Again, even following the program at about 75% of what I should have was effective.

The reason why I know that it is scientifically based is because in about March of 2011, I found out that I had type two diabetes!  If you're not aware, there is an EPIDEMIC of type two diabetes in the United States.  According to the American Diabetes Association, 8.3% of the population has diabetes!!  http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/diabetes-statistics/

My blood glucose was measured at 191!!!  It's supposed to be between 80-100.  My doctor required me to go to a diabetes education class at Huntington Memorial Hospital.

After completing the class, I learned a lot about my body and how to reverse diabetes.  To my surprise, I learned that what the dieticians teach about diabetes prevention was almost verbatim what the Transitions program is all about!

So I started following the program and lost another 10 pounds and am about 2 pounds away from my target., which is to be "cut" like Bruce Lee. My body is really defined now and most importantly, my blood sugar readings are in the normal range.  Most days I'm between 90-100.  A bad day may be 115.  ALL WITHOUT MEDS!!!

I'm going to post a picture of me with no shirt on so you can see what good of shape I'm in.

I encourage you to take a look at this video by one of my business partners, Lydia Martinez, that gives an overview of the Transitions program.  I'll answer any questions you may have and show you how to get started.  It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change...FOR THE BETTER! 
Transitions Lifestyle Weight Management Program

No comments:

Post a Comment